Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Perhaps my current employer hasn't gotten the memo. The week before and the week after Christmas is supposed to go like this: everyone takes all their leftover vacation time so I - not going out of town or anything - come in to a mostly empty office, surf the internet all day and take three hour lunches.

That's not happening. Most of it is my fault. I said I'd have something done by the end of the month, so I've got that. Plus whatever normal stuff pops up, because as far as I can tell no one is taking any vacation time and everyone will be here right up until Santa comes through and is all like "really, people, go home and be with your families."

And I certainly know you don't talk about your job online, so I'll just say: I'm not complaining. Really! I like my job and my coworkers, and that's a rare thing these days. Lucky me!

***

The holiday plan is low-key. I'm done with shopping. No one else is getting anything, and no one is getting anything else. So there. I'm going to go home and cook sweet potatoes on Friday night, then John and Gretchen and I will go to my sister Julie's house for the big family festival. There will be turkey and presents for the kids and drinking. John will go to his mom's to spend the night and to have Christmas morning with her. Gretchen and I will cuddle on the couch and watch It's A Wonderful Life. Then we'll open presents the next morning and eat cherry turnovers. Jen and James are having brunch that day and we'll probably go to that, which should be delicious.

Then hopefully a little hunting for me and John the next morning. John is all about getting up early - the earlier the better - and he likes putting on hunting gear. His problem is he's not likely to sit quietly for more than an hour or so. The deer will almost certainly hear him. So we'll see. Still, time in the woods with your son is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment