Friday, February 10, 2012

Late July, 2010. Gretchen and I have been dating about a month. We were on our first trip together - tubing down the Current River in Missouri. It was going very well.

It was blisteringly hot - well over 100 degrees - and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. The water in the Current River was cold - it's always cold - so floating in a tube, with your ass in the water, was pretty much the perfect way to stay comfortable.

We were on a deserted stretch of the river. No one was in sight ahead or behind. Gretchen undid her top and got some more sun. I opened another beer.

"You," I said, "are a pretty excellent girlfriend."

She smiled at me. "I didn't even realize I was applying for the position."

"And yet you have it."

A little while later Gretchen took a lighter out of a dry-bag. It exploded in her hand before she could light her cigarette. Fortunately, no one was hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment